Thursday, February 21, 2013

Parable of the Talents


 Tonight, we were at Bible Quiz practice and part of the chapter of Matthew we were reading was Matthew 25: 14-30 the Parable of the Talents.  For anyone who needs a reminder of the story, I add that now. 

14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.

17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.

23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

     As I looked out at the room of  6 teens who have been studying the book of Matthew  to one degree or another since August, I began to really think about this story.  I have said for many years that my biggest goal in life is to hear my Lord say to me "Well done, good and faithful servant".  I have thought over and over again what have I done that would garner those words at the point I am before Him. 
     I have always read this passage from the vantage point of making money to return to further Gods Kingdom. I have to admit that being the product of the ERA Generation, yet someone who never felt driven to have a high powered corporate job, I have never made much money.   I have never felt that what I had to return even really mattered in the scheme of things.  
     But tonight, I saw something in this passage,  from a different perspective.  The servant who was given 5 talents took his talents out in to the world and used those talents to bring in 5 more.. likewise the servant who was given the two talents.  For some reason, tonight, I saw those talents as my children and myself.  I saw that when I married my husband, he had been to church, he had studied some, but he will tell you that I was instrumental in leading him to a saving relationship with Christ. I personally, never thought I DID anything, I was just there when he asked questions and I have tried to live my life in a way that would make Jesus proud to know me.  But tonight?  Did I take the one talent my Lord gave me and multiply it?  Hummmm, Talent number 1 being multiplied into two talents? 
     I, also,  remember a student of mine when I was teaching, knew that I was a Christian and she came from a family who did not particularly attend church.  Her mother was willing to allow her to go, so she had been attending the same church I went to but because of the "laws" I had not really made any effort to actively share with her.  She, however saw the light of Christ shining through my cracks and told me in class one day that she wanted to "go forward" in church the next Sunday and commit her life to Jesus, but she was scared to do it alone, and asked if I would hold her hand and walk her down to the front of the church.  You bet I would.  I was also there when she was baptized.  However, as things happen in public school, we pretty much lost touch when she moved on to a higher level school so I really didn't see much of her anymore.  One day, I found out that she had been accidentally killed when a gun near by discharged.  That made a huge impact on me.  Lord?  Could that possibly be another talent that I was able to return to you?
     I have been there when each of my children and several nieces and nephews were brought in to the sheepfold.  I pray that by watching the way I try to live my life and love those who need it, I can be counted as gathering a few more talents for my Master, while He is away. 
I, then, thought about sending my two daughters out in the world.   I have always understood that my children were gifts from God.  They belong to Him, but he gave me the charge of raising them and training them for The Kingdom.  But, each of my daughters has gone out, and returned with a wonderful, Godly husband.  Lord, could that be another example of multiplying your talents? 
     Now, my oldest daughter is beginning the task of raising her own charges in life and my second daughter is finishing up her training this semester to become a teacher.  Each of them has a whole new mission field opening up before their eyes.  
      My two sons are just beginning their own voyages in life.  It is funny because my oldest son is a tough nut to crack on the idea of faith and reliance on God.  But from Sunday to Sunday, I am seen with not only the big red-head following me in to church to participate in my Bible Study for young adults class, but there is usually a pretty rag tag entourage following us.  I pray for this band of gypsies every time I think of them, which is pretty often.  They don't know that when I wake in the morning to find a carpet of young adults on my living room floor, that before I wake them, I say prayers for them.  Maybe at some point in time, they will also be talents I can return to my Master.      
     My youngest son,  he has a bright future in front of him as he finds out just exactly where and when God wants to set him on his journey, but I believe that there are many talents in his future for him to decide what to do with.  
     I wonder, almost on a daily basis, if the job I have done and continue to do as a wife and mother is barely adequate, much less good.  Tonight, though; maybe, just maybe, I can see  a part of my life through the eyes of my Master. 

No comments:

Post a Comment