Tuesday, November 5, 2013

November 5th The Ability To Read

Do you ever wonder about how things we take for granted came to be?  Honestly, who came up with putting symbols together in ways that mean words that you don't have to be in the same room with a person to hear and understand?   And then, they took other symbols and put THEM together to be able to count things, and adding and subtracting was born.  I know people who choose not to read, unless it is mandatory in some way.  I cant imagine. 

When I was teaching school, that was one of the biggest things I tried to impress upon my students who struggled with learning.  The key to life is learning to read. If you cant read you have to rely on other people to be conveniently close to help you learn new tasks or remember old ones.  BUT!!! if you can read, and want to learn something new at 2 am,  you can teach it to yourself.  You don't have to wake someone in the house up. 

Reading is one of the best things in life as far as I am concerned and I am grateful that I function on that side of my brain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment