Saturday, May 19, 2012

Citrus Olive Oil Cake




TRYING SOMETHING NEW


 Sorry this is sideways,  I am really not good at this computer stuff.  I have a new foody related book that I am slowly going through.  It is very interesting to me as it is about HOW to shop for various foods to get the best.  It also includes some amazing recipes that I am going to try as time goes by.  I was interested in todays because it a) uses olive oil and b) it uses whole oranges and lemons, cooked in a simple syrup and then blended up completely.  The pan I used was my grandmothers and is kinda bent up, its the second time I have used it and neither time did it work out really well, so I am thinking next try I need to invest in a new pan.  I decided to post the pictures of the not really great looking cake anyway to remind myself of that book/cover thing because it TASTES AMAZING. 
This is the final product with the cut piece I tasted.  Its yummy and orangy.









 This is the cooking of the citrus in the simple syrup.  After you take them out to cool, the citrus flavored simple syrup is stored to use for my italian sodas.  How cool is that?

This is a mixture of 6 ounces of almonds that I SHOULD have roasted.  I forgot that part but it tastes great anyway.  Next time I will remember to roast them.    Then I blended them in the blender as fine as I could,  Added the flour and baking soda. 

These are the cooled citrus pieces getting ready to go into the blender to be pureed and ready to go into the mixture. 
Pureed citrus minus the seeds ready to go.  Of course I had to taste it and its really better than it sounds when you puree the entire orange and lemon.  No you don't peel them, you just cut them in quarters, make sure there are no seeds, take out any large chunks of pith. 
In the fluted pan and in the oven it goes.  This was my grandmother's pan.  It has been used a lot becuase my grandfathers favorite desert was a slice of angel food cake with half a peach on top.  I think it might have seen better days as I am more apt to blame my equipment rather than myself, haha.  You can see the extra use it has had on the outside of the pan.  The last time I used it, part of the cake mix leaked out on the bottom of my oven and burned so I put a pan underneath it this time to help catch anything that falls out.  I also put a piece of parchment cut in a circle in the bottom of the pan to try to stop leakage.  This actually worked very well as there was nothing that leaked out.  I was very glad.    
AND HERE IS THE RESULT.      

I sit here eating a slice as I work on the blog.  It is really super.  By the way, the cloth next to the cake was croched for me by a sweet sweet friend.  I am thinking that she might even like the cake as it is flavorful but not very sweet and she is not a big sweet eater.  She is a big sweety.. however. 



1 comment:

  1. How wonderful!!I think I will love it too!! And I think it looks absolutely delicious and think you are an angel!

    ReplyDelete