Sunday, May 13, 2012

What I really intended this blog to be, maybe

What I set out to do here was track my journey to better health.  My primary focus was going to be my apparant obsession with nutrition and health.  I guess that I have this idea of what I have wanted the people around me to want and believe that is unrealistic.  I have decided that I have to come to a place that I am ok with that.  I have several generations of people around me to "keep happy" as far as healthy lifestyle goes so I have to find a place to give them some choices in what my plan is but for ME to be able to stick to my plan for me.  I have for most of my adult life thought that I could get everyone else on board by just showing them how it could work.  I have to get ok with the idea that its fine for them to not want to be part of my plan because its for me, not for anyone else.  So, in light of all of these thoughts, I am going to spend part of my time here with my personal journey into healthy food and holistic living, beginning today.  What I have figured out is there are WAY too many ideas out there that are all the RIGHT and BEST idea out there for how we should eat to make any real choices.  I want it to be EASY.. something that will just go, "here, this is your plan for the next month of 3 meals a day with snacks and you will be on track"  I'm sure that there are those things out there but Im not finding them at least not what I invision.  So, this will be my journey to find those things. 
At this point in time, what I am looking for is a diet that will be healthy for my 15 year old, me, and for my husband who had a heart attack a month ago.  He in particular needs low fat, cholesterol lowering, and tasty. 
So, here I go.
I started out by reading on the internet an article from US NEWS that compared and contrasted a number of diets for this issue.  I am interested in the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes Diet, I have begun to enjoy Mediterranean food but being from the desert, I have a lot to learn about those kinds of foods and have been using as much from the Mayo Clinic Diet that I could "sneak in' to the rest of the family. 
This week, I will work on planning a whole 3 meal menu for 2 weeks to shop for and prepare.  It is the whole breakfast and lunch thing that I really struggle the most with.  I need things that can be packed and transported to be eaten later. 

So in this stream of consiousness that is happening here, I need to identify my problem exactally, so I can achieve a solution for it. 
This week, I am going to start with a few recipes that I have found that interest me.  Greek Pasta served with crusty warm bread and a fresh salad.   Grilled Portabello Mushrooms with I dont know what.  Pasta Puttanesca also served with warm bread and salad.  I want to bake the bread as well if I can get the time to do it.  Mostly because I enjoy baking bread and I need to find time to do things I enjoy doing.  I have a recipe for a low fat breakfast that I want to try as well called Chile Rellenos Casserole.  I will see what I find besides those. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I know the two week menu works as I do this for my gang!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally I work off 2 week menus too but since hubbys heart attack. I just cant seem to get things going to make it happen again. Mostly because I am trying to reevaluate everything I cook for its heart healthy value and to learn many many new things.

    ReplyDelete