Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gratitude day 10

BOOKS
Those I hold in my hand,  Not those that are digital.  I am not up to enjoying that kind of reading yet.  I m sure it will eventually come but at the moment, I am not ready to move on to the next form of information moving. 

I have 3 books that I have downloaded on to my computer and frankly have had them there for over a year.  I have finished none of them in that form.  I went and bought a paperback copy of one of the books that I did finish, but it somehow just doesnt grab my attention.  First of all I can ready my book while walking through the house.  I dont have a tablet or an e-reader so I cant take my desktop with me.  I dont want a tablet or e-reader as I break things like that way too easily.  So, if it comes to that, I will at the very least read much less. 

Now that that rant is over and dont worry, I know all the advantages to other forms. You dont have to tell me.

But what do I like?  I like a lot of different kinds of literature.  Thank goodness that the people who previously owned my house (my grandparents)  also loved books. At least my grandfather did.  He, honestly and truly, once bought a library.  He took all the boxes of books and put them upstairs at our store and brought shelves full of them to his home.  As he needed something else to read, he just went through his library till he found something that interested him.  When they built on what is now my bedroom, almost one whole wall is floor to ceiling bookshelves.  I have removed some of the books but as technology moves on and away from printed material, I have begun refilling those shelves.  I am refilling them with many of the classics that I am just afraid will disappear as 'hard to read' or 'irrelevant to our world'.  Little will they know HOW relevant those tomes are to our world.  I also have many fiction books.  Most of them are dated at least 15 years ago but there are a few in there closer to up to date.  I like light mystery novels, especially those with extras like recipes or crochet patterns and such in them.  There are non fiction books showing up on my shelves about things like how to build your own adobe house,  cooking in cast iron dutch ovens.  I LOVE to collect cookbooks as well.  I have many books from various spiritual backgrounds. 
The things you will NOT find on my shelf are most of the things in popular culture.  I dont read books with "bad language" as I just cant stop shuddering every time I find a word.  Little in the way of "smut novels" will be found for continued reading.  I cant foresee a time when any of the Twilight series or subsequent type of "supernatural love stories" will join the ranks.  Gore, not on my shelf,  I only add books that I can read just before bed. 

Oddly enough, the book I am currently reading, well one of them anyway, I have about 4 going, is The Canticle of Liebowitz for anyone who wants to discuss it.  Not my normal book but enjoyable so far.  So yes, I am thankful for paper, ink, printing machines, editors, book sellers, binding machines, and anything else that has to do with putting a loved book in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment