Friday, November 16, 2012

Gratitude day 13 Hot showers. .

Today, I decided to be thankful for hot showers.  I have a neck injury that is compounded by actually 2 shoulder injuries.  Driving or just sitting in certain positions causes it all to meld together to one constant ache.  I dont like going to doctors enough to actually have pain pills and havent been able to make it to my chiropractor for way too long a time.  I also find that the pain pills, to take a level of them that reacts to the pain makes me less functional than I am willing to be so I wouldnt take them if I had them.  I have found over events in my life that there is a difference between discomfort, pain, and suffering.  Most of what I live with, I catergorize in the level of discomfort.  When it becomes a level beyond that to having to medicate for, that is pain.  Suffering is what I have watched others go through where there were severe diseases involved or a level of pain that there really was no "cure for".  I figure if I can get myself out of bed in the morning and do what I need to do with some over the counter type aids, I have not gone beyond discomfort.  Does discomfort hurt?  You bet it does.  There are days  I cant even turn my head more than about 30 degrees, there are other days I cant lift my left arm behond about 45 degrees.  Dont get me started on my knees and ankles.  But the thing is.  After I have watched those around me go through what some of them have gone through, and I have seen what the constant pain meds have done to them, Im not willing to call it anything beyond discomfort. 
So, what do I do about mine?  Hot showers!!!!!   My family cant figure out how I can stand the water as hot as I do.  It helps.  I also have a heating pad that I pretty much sleep on round the year.  Guess what, not side effects to either one of those either.  Then there is the new icy hot liniment tape I have found.  It is the most remarkable stuff I have found in years.  But what is best???? Hot showers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment