Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Post Election Thoughts

      I have been reading in the social media today the after affects of the election.  I have been telling people that I have "Post-Election Hangover".  There are many differing opinions out there as to good/bad,  right/wrong, fair/unfair and continued name calling on all sides. I have to say that I am honestly tired of it all.  I know those who will tell me that I can't "give up" or I need to just give in and believe.
       I have seen several comments that are directed toward prayer for this point in our history.  I have to wonder, at those suggesting prayer.  Those requests have come in different directions, as usual.  I have been very disturbed by some of  those commenting who are self professed Christians.  It is not my place to judge other peoples salvation for sure, but I also know that MY Bible tells me this  "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?  17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit  Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'  Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' 

     The fruit I am seeing out of many is not the fruit I want to be associated with for sure.  Can we not at any point disagree and talk?  Can we only disagree and slander? 

     I think that it is time to get beyond all of this and start looking at our own fruit.  For each and everyone of us is responsible for what goes on in our quest through this world.  I believe its time to stop looking for others to blame, for others to accuse and for others to distract us from our own responsibility. 

     I believe that the Bible truly IS a guide book for us to live by even though many of my fellow Christians see it as only a book of history and fable.  I believe that it is time to take a really good hard look at 2nd Chronicals 7: 14 and see what it is TRULY saying.     
      "When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.       Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place."

     This passage is quoted often in many churches across this country.  It is quoted in social media almost daily.  Radio preachers use it to try to persuade congregations to band together.  But I have another question about this passage.  What if the words that were said here were put a little more simply.  If YOU, My child, who is called by MY NAME.  will humble YOURSELF, and pray, and seek my face and turn from YOUR INDIVIDUAL wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and fogive YOUR sin and will heal YOUR piece of  land.  NOW my eyes will be opened and my ears attentive to YOUR INDIVIDUAL prayers offered in this place. 

     The question for me today is:  What would happen to our country, if I stopped and humbled myself to pray and ask for forgiveness for MY wicked ways.  And, then, each person in my family were to look closely at themselves and see the areas that each one of THEM TOO has fallen away from what God wants each of us to be, and they were to pray for healing in their OWN lives... and they maybe, just maybe, talked to friends and helped THEM find ways that there are corrections needed in their lives and THEY were to go forward.  What would happen if we took a good hard look at what we watch on TV, what we listen to on the radio, what we say to each other on Facebook,  how we treat our families and co-workers.  Would we find flaws that need correction?  Or is it still the fault of "those people"?  Or is this what we would find: 
     II Timothy 3:1-5,7 "But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of god; holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."
Do you know those people?  Are any of them YOU?  I know there are changes I need to make. 
     What would happen to the United States of America, if two people in a city somewhere in the midwest decided to get together on a weekly basis and just pray for correction in their own lives, and holy cow.. what would happen if all of those individually praying people were to start praying FOR our local and national leadership instead of praying AGAINST them?   And then what would happen if each of them invited another person to join the group? 
   What if even a half a million of us nationally started truly practicing 1 Timothy 2:1-2?  

     I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

     What would it bring to our OWN lives if we were to consistently and ernestly pray FOR all those in authority?  Instead of being angry all the time, and hostile towards those around us?  Might it change our piece of the world enough that we could live peaceful and quiet lives in godliness and holiness? 
     If we can't find a way to talk to each OTHER yet.. could we talk to GOD?  and ask for help finding a way?  Or would change not be worth it? 



No comments:

Post a Comment